Monster Vs Monster

     It's already Halloween time over here and Universal Halloween Horror Nights  has a;ready announced they're doing a Stranger Things maze again this year, along with a Holidayz in Hell maze.  It's spelled wrong so that means it's gotta be scary.  For 2018 they had a similar scare zone with twisted holiday things as monsters, I thought it was just ok. I hate Easter and I have always hated Uncle Sam, screw that guy I don't have any uncles that look like that.   

     Today it was announced that they are having a Frankenstein Vs the WolfMan maze and while this is exciting, Universal has let classic horror fans down one too many times, so we are weary. Let's start out with the positive, Frankenstein Vs The Wolfman is a great property to use and this could be a very awesome maze.  This is the first film that featured the horror crossover in an effort to cash in on the monster fever, Universal had these guys fight each other.  Yes, it was only for a couple minutes towards the end of the movie but whats important is that this film led to movies like House of Dracula and House of Frankenstein where all the monsters were featured in one movie.  I guess you
could say that thanks tot he Universal Monsters ,we have Avengers Endgame.  You're welcome Marvel. 

     Anyway, depending on how this maze is done, it could be one of the most unique and exciting mazes this year.  I am hoping we see a pretty awesome fight between the two beasts, maybe towards the end and hopefully the Wolfman beats the tar out of Frankenstein. What we know so far is that the mob is going to be chasing Frankenstein all the way to Castle Frankenstein where in the movie, something happens to the monsters and it involves ice (not ICE).  The maze will once again feature music by Slash which really added to the Universal Monsters maze last year. In the future, it would be smart if instead of having a maze with all the monsters, they give a couple of them a turn every year and really get a chance to flesh out a cool unique maze for each monster.  Universal already owns the properties so they could do this for a couple of years, if they do it right and peak people's interest.  Imagine a Creature From the Black Lagoon maze where part of it takes place underwater and in the rest in the jungle.  I can design it. 

     Last year, the Universal Monsters maze was by far my favorite although I may be a little  biased due to my long standing love for the classic monsters. Not a lot though because it really was a great maze and we got to see some monsters we don't normally see.  My one complaint about that specific maze, the only gripe I had was how they portrayed the WolfMan.  Instead of the classic look, for some reason they changed him to what we see in the trailer above. I recall seeing all the classic movie posters and the Wolfman poster was the spot on except that they superimposed the face of that thing where Chaney's face should be/  I don't see a wolf in that design, it looks more like a were ape with giant fangs. They also had the werewolf from An American Werewolf in London, the werewolf from The WolfMan  (2010) and this ape guy intermixed where we were supposed to believe they were all the same character. What in the name of lazy inconsistency... I don't have an issue with redesigns of characters for events like this, I just don't understand why he was the only one affected.  At least for this year, we know not to expect the classic Wolfman look.  Let's leave the catfishng to the women on those dating apps.  

     The Frankenstein monster in that maze was also badly burned so it looks like they are using the same costumes from last years' maze and re appropriating them for this new adventure.  I am very happy we get to see a Frankenstein Vs the Wolfman maze and I really hope there is a badass fight in the end.  Whatever other surprises and twists and turns (I hate puns) are an added bonus.  This maze is the main reason I will be going to HHN again this year so I have semi high hopes for it, I just have a favor to ask of Universal, please just keep Stephen Sommers the hell away from this.

And now, look at this "vintage" HHN commercial for Florida, I miss the 90's.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog