(Horn honk)

Terrifier had me terrified because I really hate clowns, I hate that I had to watch it, alone but this is the job.  Cinematically, it is a good horror movie, a throwback to the slasher film.  Visually, the clown's makeup is fantastic, reminiscent of the Gentlemen from Buffy The Vampire Slayer. The special effects were also great  and overall a pretty good story.  The character of Art the Clown has very creepy mannerisms in this movie, things that made me smile because they were done right.  His stupid smile, the fact that he doesn't speak and when he rides around in a little bicycle. He is a believable maniac clown which makes the kills that much better.  I was thinking that this film would kind of go downhill after the first half but thankfully it did not and I have to respect Damien Leone.
I mentioned this is a throwback film and the fact that they used mainly practical effects combined with the grainy look of the film accomplish that nicely.  There are also scenes where the characters do things that a normal person would not and it is  a purposely frustrating for the viewer. For example, when confronting this killer clown after an attack, instead of killing him he is hit or stabbed once and then the character runs away.  After knowing there is a killer on the loose, people still go into dark abandoned places making some noise.  O more than one occasion I found myself saying:


If I was forced to pick one element to improve it would be to make the supernatural element more apparent earlier.  It would change the viewer's expectations of what happens to the clown but maybe they purposefully set that up for the sequel. Overall, good movie, I dig that it acknowledges it's Halloween influence with subtle visual and especially music queues.  I still hate clowns though. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog