My family's always been in meat.


Leatherface is such an iconic figure, one of the few good things to come from the stupid 70's. Not to be annoying but... I'm kind of a fan.  The way he slaughters nosy, entitled kids who should know better, his love of recycling and also his passion for making arts and crafts.  Thusly, when you know that you're finally going to meet Leatherface in a little over a week at Halloween Horror Nights, you watch the story of his life in preparation/ 

Not surprisingly, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre still holds up almost 50 years later. From the opening photography montage with the familiar metallic cry to the frustrated chainsaw swings at the end, Tobe Hooper and Co really knocked this little independent film out of the park. i remember when I watched this for about the second time, I forgot about the nasty establishing shot with the "sculptures" and I could not finish my Turkey and provolone sandwich from Ralph's.  Two or three bites in and then that image grossed out my stomach and I was done. As a true horror fan, I finished watching the movie instead of turning it off and eating lunch.  

This film is filled with memorable imagery that we remember to this day.  The hitchhiker, grandpa, the meat hook, running.  Even better if the way we remember things that weren't even in the film, Hooper and them were that good.  Even tonight, I remembered this film being really bloody and gory and a lot of people dying.  As it turns out, the body count is in the single digits and most of the violence and gore happens off screen. With the exception of Sally, there is hardly any blood in this film at all which is amazing for the events in the film to be referred to as a "Massacre." There have been sequels and remakes and reboots of this film, some of which I know I have seen but I don't remember anything about them.  I remember while in college, I was meeting a young girl friend for the first time and we had planned on going to the movies.  Unfortunately for her, i picked we go watch the remake of this and I don't remember anything about that movie, I think Jessica Beal was in it.  It could have been a decent movie, or a terrible set up for a sequel but the point is, the remake lacked the memorable imagery and feeling this movie exudes.

Anyway, I hope Leatherface sees this or has someone read this out loud to him so he sees that I enjoyed his work and I enjoyed this movie that tells the story of a middle-class family that comes together to face adversity using the power of love. I hope to be writing another entry after this but if I don't remember to not pick up any hitchhikers. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog